Phillip's Reviews > A Time to Kill

M_50x66
Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: advisory-11th
Read in July, 2011

Racism is one of the main theme is the book and it causes many problems that I feel I have a lot of outside information to know about. Tonya, a black girl was brutally murdered by a guy name Pete Willard and Billy Cobb who didn't have a legitimate reason for their actions. Carl, who is the father of Tonya remembers a case similar like this a while ago, when 4 white men raped a african american girl and got away with their crime. Carl was a man who would never let something like this go away just like that believed that court wouldn't be the way to deal with this crime.
Instead Carl takes matter into his own hand. Finding a way to get to Billy and Pete, he takes a assault rifle and murdered both of these men for their crimes. He only murdered them because he didn't want to have the chance of having a crime this severe go away without any penalties especially if it involves his daughter. What I love about this book is the history that goes along with it. Black and White men were known to have tension in the past and it led to many crimes that can be related to this one in the book. Emmett Till, a African american was also brutally murdered because he whistled at a white woman. This was considered a insult because he was African american. What I really think about this book is what would happen if Tonya was a white girl. Would the father have killed these two men or did he believe that race really did play a role in the jury's verdict.
This book was a really long read and also a movie as well. I recommend this book if you really like reading about stuff that can be related to history. This book took me a long time to read and also includes a lot of vocabulary. I have put down this book a couple of times because there seems to be a lot of fluff to me since parts were boring to me. The time it took me to read this book was probably 3-4 months with dropping it down a couple of times. If you don't get bothered by long pages and some vocabulary, this would probably be a good book for you. I believe if you love history you would love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Time to Kill.