Karen Locklear's Reviews > Unplanned: The Dramatic True Story of a Former Planned Parenthood Leader's Eye-Opening Journey Across the Life Line

Unplanned by Abby Johnson

Nov 25, 11

Read from June 09 to 15, 2011

Pathos defined.

That's not necessarily bad. Pathos has its place.

However, her emotional appeal has its skeptics, including four former co-workers, two friends, and a feminist radio talk show hostess out of Bryan, Texas. These people were very quick to speak out, and did, both to the media and in court. Apparently, Johnson had motive: she was mad at Planned Parenthood regarding an HR issue that put her on review, and she was having serious financial troubles. (Google the book or Abby Johnson and you will discover this.)

One of her friends told a reporter about her two personal abortions, which is how that part of the story got out. My first reaction to this story was, man, talk about vengeful-- friends like that who needs enemies! But I've since changed my mind.

For good reason, Abby apparently didn't want that story out when she originally wrote her book. The logic, I'm assuming, was two-fold. First of all, that's personal. No one would want to share that information. Second, some might would argue it takes away from her credibility within the pro-life movement.

I disagree on the latter.

To me, the fact she had two abortions gives her credibility on the subject. The path her life has taken doesn't seem that particularly bizarre, either. It makes sense a woman who experienced something as horrific as an abortion would be drawn towards the industry to support those experiencing the same. It's justifying the sin through through acts and not grace. (How man of us have done that, my friends?) On the same level, it also makes sense she would eventually have second thoughts and that leaving the organization would be as emotional and dramatic as it appeared.

She wanted save the world, promote preventative measures as opposed to abortion to minimize unwanted pregnancies. That is the party line for Planned Parenthood, by the way. Then economic times got hard, donors no longer support Planned Parenthood, and funds begin to dry up for the non profit. Suddenly the business model changes and abortion is pushed. According to Planned Parenthood this doesn't happen.

Who is right? I don't know. My guess is the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

Anyway, what I like about this book is that it shows how the pro life movement has evolved into something that actually has potential. A peace-loving, prayerful association working towards ending abortion and changing the hearts and minds of individuals, as opposed to a group wasting my tax dollars through political action committees in D.C. which make abysmal attempts at legislating morality.

But remember, "Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unplanned.