Jennifer Morrill's Reviews > In the Arms of Stone Angels

In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane

Jun 09, 11

Read in June, 2011

I received this book through Amazon Vine for review.

This book REALLY drew me in. Jordan Dane has written all of the characters so intricately and full of emotion and realness, that they are completely believable. Not only the main characters, but also the supporting characters. I cannot give enough praise in that area.

Brenna Nash is what I guess you would call a necromancer. She sees dead people. She is a social outcast but doesn't really care. Besides her ghostly "friends" she had one true friend in the world. Someone who really understood her. But she managed to screw up that relationship too. But then again, what choice did she have when she found him covered in blood, knife in hand, over a dead girls body...

The angst that Brenna feels is written on every page. Her guilt over her decision to turn her friend White Bird in, the pain she feels from her strained relationship with her mother, the awkward social interactions. Jordan Dane really captured the soul of a young outcast in this novel...and did it brilliantly.

I also loved the tie-in's with Native American culture. It really added a richness to the book. If you read the notes from the author at the end, she tells her story of moving to Oklahoma and the real-life people and experiences she based the book on.

My biggest criticism, which was nearly enough for me to knock off a star was my dislike of switching the point of view. I've seen it done before, like in Maggie Stiefvater's "Shiver", but that was alternating chapters with different point of views. This novel had it even within a single chapter. I found it quite confusing at times. It just was something I didn't like in the book. In the end, I decided that the other merits of the book justified the 5 star rating.

I look forward to reading more of Jordan Dane's novels. In addition, with the crazy YA paranormal phenomenon sweeping the nation, this would make an excellent movie, in my opinion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Arms of Stone Angels.