Rebecca's Reviews > Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: ya, bookswap, dystopia
Read from June 09 to 11, 2011

This was my first attempt at getting into the current YA craze. I have not really read too many YA books that have come out except Hunger Games, and I really loved those so I thought that there may have been something else out there for me. This one seemed to have good ratings, so I gave it a shot.

It just wasn't my cup of tea. The premise sounded decent, and I totally got the underlying message that I think the author was going for, but reading it was kind of a bore. Except for a few hoverboard action type sequences, it was all like "you're ugly. I want to be a pretty. uglyville, pretty town." blah blah etc. etc. I feel like it could have been a little less obvious, but I guess it is geared for younger audiences, so I'm not sure what I should expect from books like this.

One thing that I do know, while this first in a trilogy of books does end on somewhat of a cliffhanger, I won't bother continuing the series. Especially since it seems to be more about the pretties and their "bubbly" lingo just makes me want to cringe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.