Bonnie's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Jul 04, 11

bookshelves: zombies-like-brains, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, book-to-film
Read from July 03 to 04, 2011

What a truly engrossing and original novel. This will be my first of many zombie novels I have read where the story was told from the zombie, or ‘R’s’ point of view. This introduces the concept that zombies are more than the black drooling, grunting and groaning un-dead that they’ve been portrayed as in typical zombie novels. “It disquieted me at first, but it’s against etiquette to notice when one of us dies. I distracted myself with some groaning.” Zombie etiquette? Already I’m intrigued, give me more.

The storyline follows the same broken, choppy grunting and groaning that you would expect to find from your average zombie; except there’s an unexpected depth shown in ‘R’. The passages of lines where R is thinking are as in depth as a human, he just has difficult expressing his thoughts sufficiently due to his stunted vocabulary. You’ll find that the book is lacking in explanations, but it’s done that way on purpose, since this book is from the zombie’s point of view.

One line to sum it up? 'I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses.'

R begins a friendship with an unlikely individual; a human girl named Julie. After attacking and killing her boyfriend Perry, by consuming his brain he absorbed his memories and he began seeing what he saw in Julie. That’s when R notices a change… a change in him, a spark of something he hadn’t felt since he died. It was as if he was just waiting for someone to come around and remind him of his humanity. This was truly a moving and touching novel in the unlikeliest of genres.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

Quotes Bonnie Liked

Isaac Marion
“My friend "M" says the irony of being a zombie is that everything is funny, but you can't smile, because your lips have rotted off.”
Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

07/03/2011
22.0% "'I long for exclamation marks, but I'm drowning in ellipses.'" 2 comments
07/03/2011
48.0% ""Her name is Julie." This comes off my tongue fluidly, like a swish of warm camomile."
67.0% 1 comment
07/04/2011
79.0% "The words build and explode out of me like an uncontainable sneeze. 'I killed him. Ate... his brain.'"

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonnie Thoroughly enjoyed this. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Bonnie wrote: "Thoroughly enjoyed this. :)"

I'm glad. I loved so many scenes in this book & the story.

Michelle Have you found any more novels from the Zombie point of view? It was such a great starting point!

Bonnie Hmmm! I had to think about that one. The only ones that come to mind are My Life as a White Trash Zombie and Raising Stony Mayhall. That can't possibly be the only ones though. Just the ones I've read. :)