Laura's Reviews > The Witching Hour

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: adult
Read in January, 1996

I tried to pick this up about early high school time. Anne Rice was and is a hard sell for me, I am in that minority of people who never cared at all about vampires. However, she wrote a couple other books that I read so I figured with this one being about witches I would stand to enjoy it. Witches and magic were much more of a draw for me even in a book of mammoth size. So I started this book and delved into the history of the Mayfair family/women. And holy hell. I couldn't get past the family history. It was so drawn out and I found it boring. I kept waiting for plot but instead only got family trees. I returned the book to the library and never looked back.

Only now as I looked up this book to write the review do I see that it is a trilogy... even more incentive to let sleeping dogs lie.

Recommendation advice: do not pick up this book just because you like magic or witches. If you like family histories, generational sagas, New Orleans setting... then I would recommend this book to you.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witching Hour.