Dana Melinda's Reviews > When the Emperor Was Divine

When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka

May 21, 08

bookshelves: my-favorite-books
Recommended for: those who question society, and who love great writing
Read in January, 2006

I loved how different this book is from many others I've read. It's written from the point of view of several characters, whose names are never mentioned. It almost seems like the author excluded the names to make them appear generic, as if they could be any Japanese person living in America during World War Two.
This book explores the thoughts and feelings of members of one Japanese family before, during, and after they've been shipped off to a desert camp during WW2. I was left at the end with feelings of both intrigue and satisfaction.
I've always wondered why this book hasn't won a Pulitzer Prize lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Emperor Was Divine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

KiwiBug Hello Dana. That was a good book wasn't it?
-HaileyBug

PS that is one of my nicknames. :)

Dana Melinda ya, totally. i loved how it was written from a bunch of different perspectives!!! it's really inspiring to write something like that...
i saw you read "to kill a mockingbird" and rated it 2 stars....so i guess you didn't really like it. i didn't either because it didn't seem there was much of a story line.
by the way, i love your nickname...it's so cute!!!! :)

KiwiBug Oh, I thought I gave to kill a mockingbird 4 stars. I really did like it.
Though I disagree with you about the fact that it has no story line.
I also thought that it was very inspiring and that the author made some very important points.

Yeah that is one of my cuter nicknames. I have had it since long before I can remember!
- Haileybug

Dana Melinda Oh, my bad. I read it a really long time ago so I didn't get it, but I'd probably really like it now.
A lot of people call me Puni cuz my Hebrew name is Shaya, so people called me Shayna Punum (which means "beautiful face" in Hebrew...i know, right....hahaha) which was later shortened to just "puni".
See ya tomorrow!!!!!