Keri Payton's Reviews > The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes

The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes by Jack M. Bickham

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: novel-writing, writing, non-fiction

One of the first books I ever purchased on writing - alongside 'Writing the Breakout Novel' - is this one.

Don’t describe sunsets, don’t waste your plot ideas, don’t worry what mother will think and don’t just sit there!

When I read this book I find myself thinking many things:

'That’s a huge no-no I often spot in other people’s writing...and my own.'

'That’s a worry I have that I should really smother.'

'Why have I forgotten about this vital element? I need to put that in.'

Most of all, I learn a lot.

This book brings to light 38 common mistakes when writing fiction. There are so many books on writing that bring up what to do when trying to write good stuff but they often skim what not to do. This is where this book comes in handy. It’s a slim thing but it’s full of valuable points and thoughts.

This is a book that makes you think. I promise it will not make your eyes glaze over. It is definitely worth reading as it highlights a lot of points other books may be light on.

Don’t fret too much over what not to do, however. Remember, the important thing to do is to write. This is a great book to come back to when you are looking to edit your fiction, maybe not so much when you are on the first draft and worrying about whether you are doing everything right.

(From my blog, Quill Café)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes.