Airiz C's Reviews > Mister Monday

Jun 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction, surreal
Read on October 01, 2007 — I own a copy

After finishing the Old Kingdom trilogy by Garth Nix I decided to move on to his other works, knowing that he has a penchant for weaving fantastic worlds that--as proved by his short stories and novels that I've read--are capable of keeping me engrossed to the end. Like he'd just cast a spell for continuously reading or something. Picking up The Keys to the Kingdom series is not exactly a misstep, but I think the magic of the Abhorsen trilogy on me has a much stronger grip compared to this.

Mister Monday is the first installment in the seven-book series of The Keys to the Kingdom (and as you may have guessed, yes, the other books are named after the other days of the week too). It focuses on Arthur Penhaligon, an asthmatic boy who should've been dead by the first chapter had he not been given a magical key the shape of a small hand of a clock. At the arrival of the strange Sneezer and Monday, everything in his world starts to change; he experiences seeing his loved ones on the ledge of danger and death, and feels very helpless about it. So he commences his journey to The House in order to retrieve a key to the Kingdom and be the hero that he initially thinks he isn't.

It has a pretty interesting premise, I guess. The writing style is effectively beautiful, though for some reason it doesn't help to inflate the characters to three-dimensional fullness. Anyway, it's still a good read. Perhaps it's a little inferior to the Abhorsen trilogy, but at least it has an original concept that is executed in decent writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister Monday.