jv poore's Reviews > Pocket-47

Pocket-47 by Jude Hardin

Jun 29, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in June, 2011

Pocket-47 begins with a seldomly-employed, rarely-compensated Private Investigator (Nicholas Colt) accepting an apparently run-of-the-mill case. Despite Colt's prickly personality and unapologetic smart-aleck comments and mannerisms, he quickly becomes endearing to the reader. His passion and commitment to his new client allow glimpses of the kind and generous heart Colt has tried so hard to harden.

It becomes apparent that the case is so much more than Colt could have imagined. As the body count increases and the plot thickens, the fast pace of this story takes him back to times he's tried to forget. He accepts that things aren't often as they appear; accidents are often carefully orchestrated disasters and regardless of how ignorant the "reasoning" is, people will still follow.

I enjoyed this book tremendously. It grabbed me and pulled me in quickly and it was tough to put down. I thought that it was well written with charasmatic main characters, the perfect number of supporting characters and the amount of detail provided for each character was spot-on. The story wrapped up nicely, leaving no loose ends and not dragging out long after I stopped caring. The horror in this story is so real that this was a bit scarier than I expected, in addition to being an outstanding mystery. I will look forward to reading more by Jude Hardin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pocket-47.