Darlene's Reviews > Ramona The Brave

Ramona The Brave by Beverly Cleary

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

I read this book aloud to my daughters.

In the third book of the Ramona Quimby series, Ramona has entered first grade. She realizes that it is much different than kindergarten, and she finds it a little bit frightening and misses her kindergarten teacher, Miss Binney.

Although initially excited at having her very own bedroom, Ramona finds that her room can be a scary place at night. I had to laugh as I remembered doing the exact same thing when I was a child: Standing in the doorway and turning off the light and then taking a flying leap to the bed so that the monsters underneath could not grab my ankles! I could always relate to Ramona's feelings when I was a child, and I know that my kids can relate to her as well.

I love how Cleary shows in her books that it is okay for kids to be frightened. The world can be a scary place for someone so little, and it is reassuring for kids to read that other kids their age have the same fears.

Cleary books are timeless! The issues and fears that Ramona has are just as relevant today as they were 36 years ago when the book was first written.

My girls can't wait to find out what happens next in the series!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ramona The Brave.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ellen I completely agree. Adults so frequently trivialize children's fears and feelings, when really they feel small enough to begin with; they don't need us making them feel even smaller. I love that Cleary has made Ramona have the feelings of inadequacy that she sometimes has and that so many other children also have, and often can't put a name to that feeling.