Melody's Reviews > Up and Down Stairs: The History of the Country House Servant

Up and Down Stairs by Jeremy Musson

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, history-worth-reading
Read in January, 2012

Well-researched and easy to read, this book at once satiated my desire to know more about the history of the country house servant and left me wanting more. The author did a very good job showing not only the tasks and lives of the servants, but also how and why that lifestyle evolved, as well as how that, in turn, affected architectural design. Plenty of quotes from both servants and masters were included, providing a fully fleshed-out view of the situation, yet the writing remained light and interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up and Down Stairs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wallace (new) - added it

Wallace On the blog you mentioned picking up Wodehouse. I have the first book, but haven't read it yet. Maybe we could read it together?

Melody That would be so much fun! What a good idea. I've thought about having my book club read it...for some reason it seems like it would be a fun one to share. Maybe sometime after short list reading is over?

message 3: by Wallace (new) - added it

Wallace Sounds good. I read a great article about the series, I'll try to find it. I didn't even know about them until I was in New York last year at The Strand and they had a whole set-up.

message 4: by Wallace (new) - added it

Wallace I just ordered a copy of Up and Down Stairs.. apparently it was a limited print. The two Indie stores nearest me didn't have it (and one said it couldn't be ordered). I jumped on B&N to get a paperback copy (the only type available). The hardbacks are going for almost $50 from private sellers. Crazy!

Melody Wow! You know, now that that I think of it, I think I ended up ordering mine from Book Depository...maybe it was published in the UK?

message 6: by Wallace (new) - added it

Wallace I think you're right, it must have been published in the UK. Maybe it will be ordered for US shops now that Downton Abbey is so popular. The woman I spoke to at the larger Indie store near me said they used to have it in stock, and that she is going to ask the buyer to order more copies now that DA has gained speed and is in its 2nd season.

In other news: I've received my copy and can't wait to read it soon!