JoAnne Pulcino's Reviews > My Reading Life

bookshelves: adult-fiction, adult-fiction-and-e-book
Read in September, 2010

MY READING LIFE
Pat Conroy
If you are a devoted fan of Pat Conroy, like I am, this wonderful book will thrill you, and take you on his magic carpet ride of eloquent prose.
He shares the books that have given him reading pleasure, and the mentors, substitute father figures and librarians who inspired and influenced him. He showers particular praise and gratitude on his mother as she nurtured his passion, and he feels she made a novelist of him. How could you not love a true southern lady whose favorite book was GONE WITH THE WIND?
The insights into this marvelous charismatic southern gentleman and wordsmith is as refreshing as touching and smelling a glorious magnolia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Reading Life.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue I have just added this one - I do love Pat Conroy's writing!!!

JoAnne Pulcino Sue, Pat Conroy is one of my literary heroes!

message 3: by Sue (new) - added it

Sue JoAnne - I totally agree with you when it comes to Pat Conroy! His style of writing is just so "smooth" - its the only word I can use to describe his writing - it just seems to flow so nicely. I have not read all of his books - and I have "South of Broad" on my shelf - I've heard from some of my friends they did not like it - what did you think? I especially loved "Beach Music".

JoAnne Pulcino Sue,I believe PRINCE OF TIDES will be named a modern day classic, and I certainly hope it is! It is my favorite Conroy. Far and away his greatest book. But don't overlook THE GREAT SANTINI which will tell you a lot about how he was raised. Beach Music did not live up to my expectations, but was a good read. I enjoyed SOUTH OF BROAD as it rather updated him to the present. His cookbook also gives you glimpses into his thinking.Enjoy!!!