K2 -----'s Reviews > Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook

Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain

Jun 09, 11

Read in June, 2011

If I could give this two and a half stars I could. I felt the book was well-written although in some ways a bit too "inside baseball" for me writing about specific chefs he admits vastly influenced by his circle of friends.

The content seemed to me to be leftovers as if he was gasping for subject matter. I found his harping on women at every whistle stop on his book tour to be a bit unpleasant as I found his rants about Alice Waters who has done great things for the Bay Area community teaching school children about the importance of fresh food through a nonprofit gardening program among other things. I sensed more than a bit of professional jealousy and insecurity disguised as bravado. I think he is a talented writer but I kept thinking these essays must have appeared elsewhere and were just gathered here, I looked twice for a copyright page telling me where they had been previously published but they were not. I sense he likely tried or that the publisher's deadline loomed as he wrote many of these pieces under pressure.

Who can blame him for trying to ride out the train of his popularity when people like me will keep reading him?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medium Raw.