Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Caps for Sale Board Book: A Tale of a Peddler, Some Monkeys and Their Monkey Business

Caps for Sale Board Book by Esphyr Slobodkina

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, picture-book, hughs-shelf, classics
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

This is an old classic, and while the illustrations look vaguely familiar to me I couldn't say for sure whether I read this as a kid. As the subtitle says, it's the story of a cap peddler, some monkeys and their monkey business. The peddler wears all the caps on his own head, organised by colour; when he takes a nap under a tree one day he wakes up to find them all gone. After futilely looking around, he looks up at the tree and finds it full of monkeys, each one wearing one of his caps. He then has to figure out a way of getting them back, which he does - inadvertently.

It's a fun story with some vocab repetition and counting, and the illustrations are very unusual compared to what you get these days - they definitely have an old world charm to them, not least because they're from a different era; I looked up the author and found that after emigrating to the US she was a member of the American Abstract Artists group. This is one of those old classics that's still going strong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caps for Sale Board Book.