Martha's Reviews > The Keeper

Jul 14, 11

bookshelves: horror
Recommended for: Tragic horror fans
Read from June 29 to July 05, 2011

This is my second Langan read, after Audrey's Door, and I do think Langan's stories have a particular flavor. Troubled young women struggling with mental illness are featured in both. Both books are quite dark and can be difficult to read at times. There are definitely moments in both of them that are gut-wrenchingly sad. But Langan writes in a readable style that keeps me going throughout no matter what. She shines at character development. People in her books are very realistic and many times, sympathetic. She will be an auto-buy author from now on.

You know the general idea from goodreads already, that this book centers on a small town called Bedford and a girl named Susan Marley. Susan was born different. Something about her attracted the darkness of others, and she could hear their worst nightmares. This would drive anyone mad, and she becomes the tragic figure of the 'town crazy'.

What happens during the course of the story makes Susan both horrifying and sympathetic to the reader, a great combo. Universally feared and hated, even by her own family, only friend to speak of is a drunken disgrace who takes advantage of her sexually. Her character kind of reminds me of Kirie and Reika from Fatal Frame, for you gamers out there. Langan really builds the tension during the first half, and unleashes hell for the second. I could picture the happenings quite vividly, and in a few parts even wished this could be a movie. Not that I think the feeling could be captured too well that way.

The ending is just what I wanted out of this novel. No "everything will be ok" kind of crap some horror novels like to wrap up with. It was kind of abrupt though, so I am going to have to read The Missing soon and see if anything from The Keeper is further mentioned.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Keeper.

07/03/2011 "Around halfway. Very good so far, lots of buildup for something I think is going to be scary!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kimberly Great review, Mar, with which I agree wholeheartedly. It is nice to read a good book with good character development, intriguing plot line, and unpredictable twists. The main characters are multi-dimensional and have traits with which many of us can relate.