Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk's Reviews > Saturn's Children

Saturn's Children by Charles Stross

Jun 18, 11

bookshelves: fiction, science-fiction
Read from June 09 to 18, 2011

Now here's an interesting one... it could almost be "The Ipcress File" in future times... it's certainly better written and even (dare I say it) not as fantastical and over-the-top. In a nutshell (without giving too much away because I hate reviews that stop you reading the real thing) the story is set in a future without humans - only their creatively-thinking, intelligent robotic offspring exist.The problem is that robots are created as servants to mankind and no-one ever thought of "freeing" them before the last man died... oops... and within that scenario the story starts. Our heroine is a sex-robot (which gives rise to some amusing incidents) pulled into (I almost said "sucked" but then Stross's use of that imagery - and all other sorts of sexual bombshells - set off Puritanical alarm bells) a system-wide adventure that does, at times make the old grey cells work overtime. Good story, entertaining, good read.
And, by the way, all you non-readers of Science Fiction, the book gives one the chance to have surrogate experiences that Booker Prize winners never give you! Surrogate existence rules OK!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saturn's Children.