Ed's Reviews > The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday

The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday by Alexander McCall Smith

Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011, 3-and-a-half-stars, guilty-pleasure, part-of-a-series, read-on-kindle
Read from June 08 to 15, 2011

Put on the broken record, as in this 5th installment of the Isabel Dalhousie/Sunday Philosophy Club series there is not I feel like there is left to say about it or its prolific author, Alexander McCall Smith.

I can rehash all the my usual descriptors: pleasant, polite, light, leisurely, etc. Likewise, I can repeat that I use McCall Smith and particularly these series (tho I need to get back to Botswana and Mma. Ramotswe in No. 1 Ladies) as a literary palate cleanser. This time I'd just come off an epic WWII/Holocaust historical novel, so The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday was certainly the perfect anecdote for that!

That said, I preferred the last two installments of the series over this one. Those had the surprises of two new "men" in Isabel's in life full-time, in this installment there is definitely a a sense of things having been well settled-in, though that doesn't stop Isabel from way over-thinking or saying the wrong things... but that's what we love about her, right?! Overall, 3.5 stars for that guaranteed good time by McCall Smith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday.