Jessica's Reviews > Sister

Sister by Rosamund Lupton

Dec 17, 11

bookshelves: mystery-and-crime-fiction
Read in December, 2011

Beatrice's younger sister is missing, and she rushes from New York to London to meet their mother and start the search. When Tess is found dead, an apparent suicide, Beatrice is convinced someone murdered her and decides to investigate. The entire novel is a letter to Tess that alternates between the present day, when Beatrice knows the identity of the killer, and the weeks in which the investigation unfolds. As she tells her story, Beatrice clearly is losing both physical and mental capacities from the strain.

Lupton has a gift for suspense. You suspect nearly everyone in the story by the end, and while I thought I had guessed the mystery, the author engineered the final twists perfectly. Highly recommended for people who like suspense.

Why not five stars? I can see why some reviewers gave this the highest rating but something about the book nagged at me. As gripping as I found the story, Beatrice never felt completely human to me. I think some of that might be Lupton's intent--that Beatrice is obsessed with finding her sister's killer--but the result often pulled me out of the story. She probably deserves 4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jennifer A friend of mine heard an interview with the author on NPR. She said the book sounded interesting.