Joe's Reviews > The Hunt for Red October

The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: finished-irp-books, favorites
Read in June, 2011

“The Hunt for Red October” is about the journey of a young man, Jack Ryan, and his search for the Red October. The Soviet Union has just put to use a new drive system for their nuclear submarines. This one, the Red October, has been decided to be piloted by Marko Ramius. Marko Ramius sets out from dry dock with no intentions of coming back. Jack Ryan is offered a job in the CIA after he attains pictures of the new Soviet Boomer, Red October. He seeks the Red October on various ships until the Red October is forced to surface after sabotage. The Red October’s unknowing crew is rescued whilst the officers ‘plan’ to sink it. Jack Ryan boards the Red October and Marko Ramius makes his defection known. The Red October takes a perilous journey to one of America’s nuclear submarine docks. On that journey the Red October is torpedoed twice, and rams a Soviet Alfa submarine sending the enemy to the deep. The Red October docks and almost everybody lives a happy survival. The End.

“The Hunt for Red October” is an awesome book. So much knowledge and effort was put into this book. The terms he uses shows in depth research of naval combat. The stances his characters take shows great effort in the making of each one. Even the two or three page characters who die. Tom Clancy puts great effort into the description of every aspect in the book. Using this tactic, he draws your attention farther into the book to lay the foundations of an awesome story.

I rate this book a 5 out of 5 because Red October was a really good book in my opinion. I know that many people don’t like the way Tom Clancy describes everything in complete detail. One of my other friends stopped reading the book because of that. For me it’s the opposite. By describing everything in complete detail, he is able to create much more intense scenes. Overall an excellent read for excellent people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt for Red October.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. Fenn (new)

Ms. Fenn Great review, 95