Dija's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Jul 09, 12

bookshelves: june-2012, read-in-2012, authors-i-stalk, cotton-candy-fluff, my-reviews, my-harem, uf-or-pnr, first-in-series
Read from June 30 to July 01, 2012

Once Burned was my most-anticipated release of 2012, second only to Iced: A Dani O'Malley Novel. And while it was, thankfully, not a disappointment, it wasn't as great as I'd hoped it'd be either.

I feel like this isn't the Vlad we've come to know and love from Night Huntress. This Vlad was almost a stranger to me, and if he's treated as a new character, his personality wasn't too bad. But if you keep in mind every witty comment he has imparted in the past along with his friendship with Cat and his sexy sense of humor, this Vlad seems almost like an imposter.

Nonetheless, I keep reminding myself that Once Burned is from Leila's POV and while we've seen the many facets of Vlad's personality before, she hasn't, and the book is naturally going to reflect that.

I have lukewarm feelings for Leila. I like that she didn't give in to Vlad all the time, but I was also a little miffed at first by how quickly Leila started admitting that she was falling for him. After dwelling on it a bit more though, I realized that if I'd been unable to touch anyone because of my powers for years, then suddenly I could do anything I wanted with one of the hottest men on the planet, then he took my virginity on top of all that, was occasionally sweet and gentle with me as well, I would begin to fall for him too.

Unlike the Night Huntress World books and more like the Night Huntress ones, Once Burned isn't all about romance. There's a perfect blend of action and intrigue thrown in the mix too. I think that, more than anything else, is what drastically increased my enjoyment of the book. I found the parts dealing with Leila's powers and her past thoroughly engrossing; the mystery about whoever was trying to kidnap Leila was also an interesting addition.

My feelings while reading this book ranged from joy to eagerness to boredom to anticipation to surprise. Most of all though, I was simply happy. Happy that this wasn't a complete let-down, that I found this book absorbing enough to finish in two days, that vampires still hold that sexy appeal they used to but seem to have lost recently with other paranormal creatures taking the limelight.

All in all, this was a good-enough beginning to what is hopefully going to become an epic series. It wasn't as dynamic as Halfway to the Grave, but it's still a far cry from being a total disappointment.

3.75/5 stars

My Vlad:

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

Quotes Dija Liked

Jeaniene Frost
“He was also handsome in a too-pretty way that made me think with less muscles, a wig, and some makeup, he'd look great in a dress.
Vlad's scowl vanished into a smile as the brunet's gaze swung in my direction as though he'd somehow heard that.
"Looks as though she's put you in your place as well, Bones," Vlad drawled.”
Jeaniene Frost, Once Burned

06/30/2012
35.0% "

“Forgive me, but it’s Mencheres and his co-ruler,” Maximus stated, not sounding apologetic even though he bowed. “Their wives as well.”

" 7 comments
06/30/2012
61.0% 14 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aly is so frigging bored Great review.

PS: Your Vlad is REALLY hot :))

Dija Thanks, sweetie. And Ikr?? I had to search through so many models before I found one that seemed close to what I had in mind. :D

Dija The version of Vlad on the cover isn't what I imagined him as either, Jenny, that's why I included my own Vlad in the review. You should still give the book a try soon, because even though Vlad wasn't that great, Leila's an awesome character and you might end up enjoying the book because of her.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Nice review Dija....I have not read any JF before despite thinking about doing so a couple of times. The problem is I always get the feeling that her books lean more toward UF rather than PNR.

I suppose the best thing to do is just read one and see ha ha

Shawna Great review, Dija! And nice choice for Vlad!

Dija @Jenny: Hope you enjoy it, whenever you get around to reading it. :)

@Dee: Thanks! Her book do lean more towards the UF side, but the romance isn't as slow as it is in most other UFs, so I don't think you should have any problems there. Plus it's a tragedy for anyone to have the chance of getting to know Bones and miss out anyway. You should seriously consider giving her series a try, Dee!

@Shawna: Thank you! And glad you like him; I could stare at his pictures all day. ;)

Brittany B. @Dee, the Night Huntress series is technically UF, but it has so much romance. The first two books are on my top 10 all time list. I hope you read Cat and Bones. I fell in love with romance books bc of them...

message 8: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Oh Dija, who is that HOT male?!! Wow, I must catch up with the Night Huntress series to find out more about Vlad. I think I left off after finishing books 2. I don't even think he was introduced yet in the series. I think I like the center of the story to be romance, though, so I'd probably feel the lack of it would rob some of my enjoyment of this story too. Lovely review as always Dija. :)

message 9: by Dija (last edited Jul 07, 2012 11:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dija His name's Andrew Stetson and isn't he just the smexiest?? :D

I think Vlad plays a bigger role in books 3 and 4, though I can't exactly remember the order of the events that happened because of how long it's been since I read it. You really should consider finishing the series! The romance just gets better and better. :D Even if you never finish NH, you could read this series anyway because the plots aren't related and neither is the romance.

And thanks! :)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Dija wrote: "@Plus it's a tragedy for anyone to have the chance of getting to know Bones and miss out anyway. You should seriously consider giving her series a try, Dee!.."

Hmmm, my interest definitely sparked up now....Will have to give them a try ☺