Loederkoningin's Reviews > Dreamfever

Dreamfever by Karen Marie Moning

What the fuck...Jericho Barrons plays Rob Zombie's Pussy Liquor for a pri-ya Mac. How badass can this man get? Wheww, what can I say...? I mean, I approve.

And dear KMM, if this isn't revenge then I don't know what is. Annoyed and unimpressed as I was with the first book in this series, Darkfever - I even recall labeling that one urban fantasy Stephanie Plum novels: entertaining but hardly impressive - I TAKE IT ALL BACK.

There was a time - merely days ago since these books are all-nighters - when I wanted to slam my head against the wall for having bought the entire series at once. Now I'm mighty glad I did. KMM consistently uses the most terrible cliffhangers, ones that leave you dangling helplessly in a need-to-pull-out-my-hair-in-frustration state. I'd definitely suggest getting your paws on the entire series at once.

Mac grows from a hardly tolerable dumbfuck into a pretty kick ass heroine. It remains unfortunate that KMM felt the need to portray her as that empty Barbie doll in the first place, only to make her growth more apparent. As the story unfolds, she becomes Mac version 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0. Which doesn't mean that she isn't left in the dark most of the time anymore. She still gets tossed around by the other players too, they are still more powerful than she is. This, I think, is a bit of a shame. I'd loved for her to kick some serious butt, voice Barrons "friends' just for the hell of it, be a force to be reckoned with. But well, she's come a long way so it's not that I feel like whining about details here.

And Jericho Barrons... I suspect that he has become larger, bigger and better than the author had imagined possible. Yup, he probably surprised KMM by coming alive like this. The man is epic. He's like Witchblade's Ian Nottingham (the Turner comic version mind you), La Femme Nikita's Michael, Robin Hobb's pirate Kennit..bundled into one, with an added dash of red hot dangerous animalism, sexiness and brutality...*oh swoons*. As the favorite embodiment of Barrons, David Gandy, is concerned... well I agree there's something there that subtly reminds of Barrons, but Gandy is such a pretty pretty model boy..and I wouldn't dare calling "my Barrons" pretty. Besides, mere prettiness is pretty overrated anyway in my book. Beh. So Tony Ward it is. Sort of. Somewhat.

I was relieved to find out that KMM erased most of what I considered to be cheesy tricks in the final books. Gone are the repetitive spoilers ("Had I known that V'lane was all about making love on Billy Joel, I would have never fucked him that day. But I didn't so...")
She hardly uses her heroine as a vessel to pour out her own thoughts into the story anymore. Simultaneously, the storyline morphs into roller coaster ride material: for the first time I actually sensed a bit of danger, things heated up, got interesting.

Sure, KMM goes happily overboard here and there. Dani for example: she's adorable alright, but letting her grab a role as narrator makes her into a caricature and is altogether a little too much. It serves no other purpose than to build suspense and make readers long for the good Barrons/Mac stuff even more. Transparent much? However, it's all forgiven, for Barrons makes up for everything. He personally lifts these books above mediocreness.

Uhmmm...do I sound a little pri-ya here?:p

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamfever.

06/15/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/17/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

julio lol I love you loeder

Loederkoningin You probably don't really, considering that you pretty much hated these books. But that won't stop me from purring happily in the afterglow of your comment.:')

julio Your review is awesome. And I didn't hate the books, I just thought very unkind thoughts about them

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) These books are AMAZING... I read them through the night back to back. They were like my crack!

julio I read them back to back, too. There was good stuff in them.

Loederkoningin joolz wrote: "Your review is awesome. And I didn't hate the books, I just thought very unkind thoughts about them"

Most of the unkind thoughts I think revolve around Mac (who is totally the type of girl who'd get that neon pink fake dick to pee through). Do you still remember what you thought of Barrons?

Loederkoningin Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "These books are AMAZING... I read them through the night back to back. They were like my crack!"

Gah, they are! And it's fantastic to be back in Dublin. Did you read the one from Dani's perspective; Iced? You know, that one that got the pedo-bear stamp of approval?:p

julio Barrons was a baja'panti. Mac made me want to hurt myself.

Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews Excellent review sweetie <3 x

Loederkoningin Monique ~ Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews wrote: "Excellent review sweetie <3 x"

Thanks!:)

Loederkoningin joolz wrote: "Barrons was a baja'panti. Mac made me want to hurt myself.

With an eye towards beng fucked nursed back to sanity over a period of many months while locked in a basement cumdungeon with Barrons."

...oh to have a chance to thumtumpedy thump with a naked Barrons. I'd give up my left arm.

julio Me too

message 13: by Vio (new)

Vio Fabulous review Katinka.

Loederkoningin Soraya Naomi wrote: "Oh your real name isn't 'Loederkoningin' LOL"

Gurrl, het is Koningin Beatrix voor jou.>:D

message 15: by Loederkoningin (last edited Jun 15, 2013 03:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Loederkoningin Vio wrote: "Fabulous review Katinka."

Thanks.^^ That was just me fangasming.

message 16: by Vio (new)

Vio Loederkoningin wrote: "Vio wrote: "Fabulous review Katinka."

Thanks.^^ That was just me fangasming."

:))

message 17: by Mich (last edited Jun 15, 2013 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mich These were the first books I truly fangasmed© out on. The series is truly delightful (one of the best I have seen in the paranormal romance world). I will definitely go back and re-read one of these days.
Great review Loe.
btw-I would go priya for JZB anyday...

We do love those crazy lunatic badasses don't we!?? LOL, I've noticed a theme lately..hehe

Loederkoningin Mich wrote: "These were the first books I truly fangasmed© out on. The series is truly delightful (one of the best I have seen in the paranormal romance world). I will definitely go back and re-read one of the..."

This series totally took my fangasm cherry!

And yes, what is it about lunatic badasses that we adore? My picks get creepier and creepier too. But whatever, they're hot.:p Who is your favorite so far? Toreth is still my numero uno.

Oh, and really Mich...I don't know what you see in those highlanders...can't even keep the (view spoiler) Bunch of morons. Psht.;) At least Barrons made an effort.

Do you think I should read the Dark Highlander though? The one about that Daegus guy?

Amanda this series is definitely one of the most intense one out there. together with nerve wrecking and nail biting. thank god i actually lucky enough to read it all back to back.

Loederkoningin Rub it in again, will you?:D

message 21: by Mich (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mich Toreth. Absolutely has taken the #1 slot. I could kiss u for recommending TA. #2...Vadim. #3 JZB #4 Silvio

message 22: by Mich (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mich I only read books 1, 4, 5 and 6 (not in that order) in the Highlander series. I really enjoyed 4 and 5...and read 6 bc it was Adam Black...and he is just evil. lol I think I liked Daegus a lot...I don't think I reviewed it tho...