Ann Roberts's Reviews > Acquainted with the Night

Acquainted with the Night by Tymber Dalton

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011-members-nominated, fantasy, sci-fi, menage, paranormal, m-m-read
Read in October, 2011

I wanted to review Acquainted with the Night by Tymber Dalton that I read (late) for the Q3GB and for the M/M Bingo Round 1. Dale, the main character, is held “hostage” during war-time as a breeder-pet for the Algonquans. Through various circumstances, he becomes one of four breeder-pets to his Master, and the story chronicles his and his companions’ experiences serving to provide fertilized eggs and friendship to the larger, more-advanced race. It was a five- star read for me, even with a few chapters that dragged a little. I wonder if, even as I write about that minor issue, if the slowness of the plot in certain areas may reflect the primary lifestyle of Dale and the other main characters--wake up, have sexual relations (with each other and their Master), breed eggs for their Master, relax in the sun and visit with each other, have more sexual relations, go to bed. Repeat. Dale himself even alludes to this happy, yet monotonous, lifestyle! The world constructing is detailed, and—I believe—the author uses obvious multiple examples of the inhumanity and intolerance of the Terrans against the Algonquans in order to indicate the moral ideals and even some of the legal reforms she feels we as humans should make. Even though the ending was rather controversial to me—since I did not see our human pets in exactly the same light as the Algonquans making Terrans their pets—it was, nevertheless, a realistic ending for the world that the author built and one of only a handful of romance novels to cause me to cry. Although I vacillate in my belief of whether or not this should truly be categorized a HEA story, it is a very worthwhile, five-star read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acquainted with the Night.