Tara Carpenter's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

Dec 30, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from April 23 to December 30, 2012

I'm a goal setter and a list maker. Even when I don't accomplish my goals I feel better just for having set them. And for any small progress I made. And I continue to want to make changes/keep resolutions even if I'm past a deadline or have failed in the past. So of course I enjoyed The Happiness Project, which was about Rubin's year-long resolution-keeping smorgasbord.

Rubin has a simple, clear voice that is easy to read. The book is organized by month, with a theme to each month and some specific sub-goals for each. I can see how so many people have taken to this book and started their own projects, which Rubin encourages. I even like the idea of a group to encourage & discuss. My book club almost chose this book for January, which I think would have been awesome, but ended up going with something else. We would have had some excellent discussions and I think a lot of people would have been inspired to start their own project or at least make their own resolutions.

I admire Rubin's desire to be more happy in her life, even though she was already happy and didn't want to change anything major. That's how I feel too. So as I make some resolutions for 2013, I will keep The Happiness Project in mind and refer back to some concepts. It will make a difference to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.

Katie Lorsch Man, I'm sorry I didn't pick this one for book club! I'm glad you liked it though :)