amelia cavendish's Reviews > Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders

Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders by Gyles Brandreth

208341
Apr 06, 08

bookshelves: fiction, gay-themes, murder-mystery, books-2008
Recommended for: people who enjoy crime novels
Read in March, 2008

I feel that I have to state at the beginning that I did enjoy this book because this review is going to be a bit of a mixed bag.

The author recreates the persona of Oscar Wilde well, I think, but whether the same can be said for Arthur Conan Doyle and Robert Sheridan, I don't know because I don't really know anything about them. The plot rolls along nicely, but I had worked out who the murderer was before I reached the end of the book, although there was a twist I didn't anticipate, which was good.

Now the thing that I didn't like was that at the beginning the author seemed, to my mind, to be trying to say to the reader - don't worry about Oscar fancying men if it upsets you, he loved his wife really and had affairs with women - all of which I'm sure is true but he did fancy men as well and in this day and age that shouldn't be an issue.

Another thing that bothers me is: why is the book called Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders? Because there is only one murder! I mean other murders are committed but not in that way and I guess I just assumed that the book would be about a serial killer when I started it.

I hope I haven't been too negative, I did have incredibly high expectations, which would have been hard for any novel to live up to, but overall, I would recommend this book and I would read the sequel given the opportunity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oscar Wilde and the Candlelight Murders.