Taraza's Reviews > Going Postal

U 50x66
Jun 08, 11

Recommended for: fantasy fans
I own a copy, read count: 2

A primary reason that I enjoyed this book is that is has an Ankh-Morpork setting without being a City Watch book. Not that I don't love the Watch books--they're my favorite Pratchett series--but that it's nice to meet new people in the big city. Moist von Lipwig (WHY did Pratchett have to use such a bizarre first name? It doesn't even relate to any in-book jokes)is a con man and swindler who's hanged--almost to death--and then gets a new life from Lord Vetinari, the Patrician. The Post Office needs to be resurrected and Moist's the man, unless he dies like the four previous Postmasters. Letters haven't been delivered for decades, the place is covered in pigeon poop, the mail coaches have been appropriated, and the whole thing's a joke.

Moist know that you have to can sell the sizzle before you can sell the sausage, and he rouses his tiny staff--one superannuated and one slightly deranged--and then plots to restore the Post. He needs all his old techniques of showmanship, and keeps upping the ante. Before long he's designing stamps (and stealing them--old habits), wearing a golden suit like a winged Mercury, getting letters delivered delivered by a golem mailman, and riding a wild stallion to show the speed of the post.

But Vetinari has hidden suspicions about about the "clacks" semaphore system which can spend messages across the Disc, but breaks down suspiciously often. Moist may be just the swindler he needs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Postal.