Zztimy's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

U_50x66
Jun 08, 11

Read in April, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.

Quotes Zztimy Liked

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I couldn’t forgive him or like him, but I saw that what he had done was, to him, entirely justified. It was all very careless and confused. They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“And I like large parties. They’re so intimate. At small parties there isn’t any privacy.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I hope she'll be a fool -- that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“So we drove on toward death through the cooling twilight.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“If personality is an unbroken series of successful gestures, then there was something gorgeous about him, some heightened sensitivity to the promise of life, as if he were related to one of those intricate machines that register earthquakes ten thousand miles away. This responsiveness had nothing to do with that flabby impressionability which is dignified under the name of the 'creative temperament'--it was an extraordinary gift for hope, a romantic readiness such as I have never found in any other person and which it is not likely I shall ever find again. No--Gatsby turned out all right at the end; it is what preyed on Gatsby, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of men.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others--young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”