Keli's Reviews > The Googlization of Everything:

The Googlization of Everything by Siva Vaidhyanathan

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: adult, non-fiction, realistic

A lot of interesting ideas are brought up in this book. And I agree with the point that now is the time to mitigate the power of Google rather than later (as per the author's analogy with automobiles.) However, some of the book was rather vague, granted this is due in large part to the fact that we have no idea what the long term ramifications of Google will be. I do think that Google is being held to a higher standard than other companies (this is especially apparent in regards to their dealings in China.) However, the point stands that Google filters an unprecedented amount of our information and has changed the way many of us relate to information. As a librarian, I can attest that it has changed the way I do my job and the way that patrons expect to receive their information. Most of that change has been positive. Google is really good as a search engine and has made a vast amount of previously inaccessible information accessible. I feel, though, that the main issue is that many people don't understand what Google is and what it does. Therefore, they give Google more authority than it deserves. This is not a problem intrinsic to Google, but with the public who has been given a very powerful tool that it doesn't fully understand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Googlization of Everything.