Alice's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jun 08, 11

Read in June, 2011

Set in Jackson, Mississippi, during the unrest of the 1960's Civil Rights movement, this book is a treasure. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan, just home from college and anxious to become a writer, contacts a publisher in New York to try to break into publishing. When given the advice to write about what disturbs her, she decides on a topic she must write about anonymously. She begins to collect stories of the maids in Jackson, starting with Aibileen, the maid of one of her best friends. Skeeter wants their perspective on being a colored maid for a white woman. The book is told in the alternating voices of Aibileen, Skeeter, and Minny, another maid who is Aibileen's best friend. Some of the stories show a very positive relationship between the races, but often treatment of the maids is detestable. I am amazed by the courage and determination of these three women. They put themselves in great danger, and there is much suspense after the book is published. The plot and beautiful characterization powerfully drew me from the start. I didn't want to put the book down. They are making a movie which comes out in August. I can't wait to see it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.