Beth's Reviews > Silver Girl

Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand

Jun 12, 11

bookshelves: bookcrossing, fiction-general, first-reads, fiction-womens
Read from June 08 to 12, 2011

I loved this book -- definitely one of my favorites by Elin Hilderbrand.

The biggest thing that I love about Hilderbrand's books is that they are set on Nantucket Island. There's just something about the island, even though I haven't been there, that really speaks to me. A summer on Nantucket seems like it would be something magical and sweet that you know you would always remember and that you would never want to end, like a summer romance or your first love. In fact, those types of things often play into her stories, and I can completely understand why, since they just seem to fit naturally with the setting. This book has quite a big backstory, so the island and its goings-on aren't the biggest thing happening, but there is still enough about the island and its lifestyle to make you feel like you are living the idyllic life on Nantucket for the summer.

What seemed a little different about this story, to me, was the drama of the main storyline regarding Meredith's stockbroker husband being indicted for investment fraud through a Ponzi scheme. I enjoyed the way the story unraveled, and the way Meredith recalled tidbits of information from memories of their life together, in order to aid in the investigation into her husband's actions (and to exonerate herself). I thought the conclusion to this storyline was satisfactory -- and I now have the song from which "Silver Girl" comes from stuck in my head :)

I also enjoyed the storyline about Connie and Meredith -- mostly because it's something that many women can relate to; a lifelong friendship that has had its ups and downs, but like many things in life, is very resilient and can persevere. I enjoyed watching the two of them come to terms with what had happened between them and in their lives over the years, and then heal and grow. I also really liked the way the author took the storylines of so many characters, both past and present, and wove them together.

My only complaint about this story (and this is hardly a complaint) is that I wanted more details of the sex that was lightly alluded to. I found both Dan and Toby to be sexy, desirable men -- but we didn't get many details about their sexual encounters with the female characters. Such a shame, I would've liked to have read about that in much more detail ;)

Overall -- a very good story. I'm happy that I was chosen to receive this first-read book (it's an advanced reading copy/uncorrected proof -- I found a couple typos and formatting errors, which I'm sure they will have fixed before it hits the shelf for real later this month :). I have already passed this onto another friend of mine who loves the Hilderbrand books as much as I do, and I'll probably keep passing it along after that.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Girl.