Kara's Reviews > A Scattered Life

A Scattered Life by Karen McQuestion

Jun 11, 11

bookshelves: 2011-list, 5-stars
Read from June 08 to 10, 2011

This is McQuestion’s best book so far and as I understand, it was her first book published. I picked it up a couple of days ago and didn’t put it down until I was finished.

I immediately felt a connection to the main character Skyla and her new neighbor / best friend Roxanne. While I have a lot in common with Skyla, my husband is much more like Roxanne’s husband. When ready Audrey’s point of view, I felt like I was her daughter in law and found myself frustrated with the way she carried herself. She felt the need to be in control but instead of communicating her wants and needs, she took the classic mid-western approach and was passive aggressive in all of her actions.

The main character, Skyla, was very easy for me to relate to. Being a mother without a mother is not easy. Not all of us want to seek out someone who will fill that void. I found myself becoming very frustrated with how her mother in law, Audrey, felt she needed to be such a huge part of Skyla’s life. What really got to me was how insulted Audrey was that Skyla would not call her Mom. When a woman lost her mom at a young age, she will not take lightly who, if anyone, she chooses to call Mom in the future. I guess it is not something one can relate to unless they are unlucky enough to be in this situation.

Overall, I am going to give this book 5 stars and I beyond excited to read another McQuestion novel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Scattered Life.

06/08/2011
8.0% "I needed a break from my other book which is not catching my attention at all. So far, this one is really fun."