Dottie's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Nov 18, 10

bookshelves: old-best-sellers, worth-rereading, classic
Read in January, 1967, read count: 3

Don't ever think because you have seen the movie, you don't need to read this book!

I read this book for the first time as I was falling in love with my husband who had grown up in Milledgeville Georgia. I remember underlining the word Milledgeville in the book. (It was the capitol of Georgia State during the Civil War.)I loved the book. I have read it many times since. It is so well written, and gives an unbiased account of the South. While it tells of the refined, chivalrous ways and life of the wealthy, Margaret Mitchell also points out that most of the women of the time primped and tucked themselves into tight corsets and huge dresses just to decorate the lives of that class of people. Every character represents some important piece of history of the South.

My mother, who was a very wise lady and to whom people flocked for advice, often said, "A person needs to be a combination of a Melanie and a Scarlett. It's good to be kind and loving with a high moral standing, but you must also have spunk and determination to succeed."

Gone With The Wind is a great book because it has many levels to it. One of which is an analogy of the south after the civil war. Melanie was the epitome or the representation of the gallantry, chivalry, and the gracious, refined ways of the Southern way of life. She died just as that way of living died after the war. Scarlett, on the other hand, is symbolic of the determination and pride of the South--determined to live on, prosper and find their new niche in life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.