Viccy's Reviews > One Was a Soldier

One Was a Soldier by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: crime-fiction, top-books-2011, 2012-lariat-books
Read from June 08 to 12, 2011

Clare Fergusson returns to Millers Kill, NY from Iraq and Russ Van Alystne is there to greet her. However, no one knows she is now addicted to speed and downers (go, no-go pills) from her service, washed down by generous amounts of whiskey. Life in a combat zone is hard. Clare joins a group of other Millers Kill veterans in group therapy and soon, one of them has tried to commit suicide and another one succeeds. But what caused Tally McNabb to shoot herself? As Clare begins to investigate, her relationship with Russ starts to come undone because he does not want her involved. Secrets and deception abound as Russ and Clare uncover a massive fraud beginning in Millers Kill, NY and stretching all the way to Iraq.
I stopped reading these books for a little while because I was annoyed at how Clare and Russ ended up together. It became intolerable for me to watch an Episcopal priest almost break her vows and I felt cheated by the resolution to the issue. Then Clare abandoned Russ to return to war in order to avoid facing the issues between them. I am happy to say Spencer-Fleming has returned to form with a smart story about the perils of veterans returning from war and ending with the happy conclusion I always want in a book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Was a Soldier.