Terrance Hand's Reviews > Die Trying

Die Trying by Lee Child

Jun 14, 11

Read in January, 2011

I am currently reading book 11-- Bad Luck and Trouble. And I'll tell you what, I have read 10 of Child's Reacher novels because of the way he writes Reacher and Reacher's surroundings.

Reacher is part Sherlock Holmes part Jason Bourne. The way child works us through Reacher's investigative mind is very similar to Doyle. I just happen to have been reading a Holmes' anthology at time these books were suggested to me. The only difference is that Reacher does not know the solution before the instigation begins as Holmes does. The plot is worked out and unraveled to us in the same clue-by-clue manner that culminates in the "elementary" explaination of the caper at hand.

All of this while Child describes the way Reacher moves about alert and razor sharp. The action sequences Child describes are written so well you feel them. Reacher's world slows down when the action is at its quickest, and we get to hear him think, just like Bourne. Incidentally, this type of action sequencing was used in the 2010 Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downing.

The most memorable passage in this novel for me was Child's description of Reacher crawling through a rock crevasse. I had to concentrate on breathing while reading. I felt the panic that Child was depicting.

I do like to laugh at Child's habitual use of "British English" in Reacher's "American English" world. Someone tell Child that US service people do not have "kit bags" we have "duffles". So Reacher probably would not nickname his friend "kit bag".

But I highly recommend this series.

Hell the man is so cool that his mother calls his brother "Joe" and him, "Reacher".
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Trying.