Jon Cox's Reviews > The Throne of Fire

The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

Jul 10, 11

bookshelves: children-s, fantasy-sci-fi, travel, romance
Read in June, 2011

How many different scenarios can one man create in which the world is about to end? [No, Bog, I'm the one typing. Get away from the keyboard.] All you have to do is read Rick Riordan's books to find out.

In the Throne of Fire, the world is about to end. Again. [Gasp. Sorry, Bog just poked me in the ribs.]

Riordan's prose is generally quite tight, and well written. [Thank you, Bog, I would like a drink.] But, he chose to use the same ridiculous [Yes, Bog, I could have used a stronger word here, but I don't want to offend any readers.] minor plot device in this book as he used in The Red Pyramid, and that's my major hang-up with the book. [If you don't like all the weird asides I am using in this review, Bog, and you think that it is distruptive and distracting to the main message of this review, then you would be in agreement with me about Riordan's plot device in the book.]

An additional issue I had with the book are that characters make miracuous recoveries all the time. There was one time when a character was being carried like they have "no bones in [their] body" because they just used up all their energy in one paragraph, and then in the next paragraph they are sprinting around saving everyone again, without any explanation for the apparent recovery.

Also, Riordan does a very unconvincing job of making one of the main characters sound British. In fact she doesn't sound anything like British. Rather, she sounds like an American that throws in a British word every hundred pages or so.

And finally, when it comes down to it, both main characters don't sound like they are 14 and 13 years old. They sound like adults trying to act like teenagers.

All in all, the book is more than a bit unconvincing, but if you can ignore all the distracting problems, you are probably going to enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Throne of Fire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stefanie Câmara Manoel Who's bog?

Wadzanai Mufunde I rather like the 'distractions'. It makes it seem like they're actually recording this message. They're brother and sister, they are bound to wind each other up from time to time.
Like the Percy Jackson characters, they are rather adult like. They have a big responsibility, after all. But I thought Sadie was rather childish about her birthday. As for Carter, he's the elder brother. Maybe he's trying to make a good example. He said it himself, he always felt like he was on 'the spot', having to look brave in front of the trainees.

This book was also filled with humour. I actually started to like Set a bit. And Felix's penguins! I LOLd. Do you have something against 'end of the world' scenarios? If you do, Riordan's not the beest author for you. When powerful gods and the forces of Chaos are involved, surely, so it 'The End of the World'.

Niazayre I have to say that I disagree with your comment on the 'weird asides'. I liked the comments in both books, It made it feel more realistic. Its also is a little different in the book because we know their background, and after all, they are brother and sister. Your "Bog" was a little random.

Bianca I agree with you about the asides. The book did not come off as convincingly teenagerish, and Riordan didn't capture their voices very well. Oh well.