Ariana's Reviews > The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Jun 08, 11

I feel indescribably guilty for not liking this.

Granted, hard-core science fiction isn't really my thing, and if I'm reading a book that is 300+ pages my attention span seems to wither away to nothing unless the book is in all ways, excellent. This is a rightly beloved series. I can certainly understand why it's so fawned over. It just... became tedious. For me.

The first book was brilliant. I wish I'd have stopped there and hadn't plowed my way through the rest. But I wonder - Was the rest of the series less brilliant, or was it /myself/, as a reader, that was the issue? Perhaps I would have enjoyed them more if I'd had taken breaks between the books. Maybe if I'd have read something lighter in between, I wouldn't have been so bored half-way through. It just seemed to get silly by So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish, at least to me. The little plot structure it had just melted away.

***MINOR SPOILER**** Oh, but contrary to popular opinion, I really did think the ending was clever, if a bit morose. *END SPOILER* The whole series (especially the first book) is full of clever little scenes that have largely contributed to the books' success. I just wish they weren't (as far as the last three books) so few and far between.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melee Don't worry about it or overthink it too much. We all have those books we feel guilty for not liking. I know I certainly do. :)

Julia While I'd take every word of Douglas Adams with me to the end of the world, I do share the unpopular opinion that the ending was perfect in its loneliness and melancholy. I didn't like the fourth book very much, but loved the rest to no end; the second and fifth are my favorites. I thought that it was a a different sort of cleverness, though, in the last few books; I suppose you'd have to grow accustomed to it. (Guaranteed; I am a fan of science fiction/Doctor Who/Douglas Adams/and sometimes Issac Asimov).

Ariana Melee wrote: "Don't worry about it or overthink it too much. We all have those books we feel guilty for not liking. I know I certainly do. :)"

Thank you, Melee! :3

Ariana Julia wrote: "While I'd take every word of Douglas Adams with me to the end of the world, I do share the unpopular opinion that the ending was perfect in its loneliness and melancholy. I didn't like the fourth b..."

I believe the ending was, in a way, realistic. In real life endings arn't always tidy or happy, which is why I don't get outraged by sad endings like some other readers. (The Book Thief!!)

The ending also had a sort of moral to it - As hard as Arthur attempted to avoid his destruction on the planet Earth, in the end everything happened the way it was destined.

I assume it's a series that I will appreciate more when I'm older. :P