Kendra's Reviews > Cold Wind

Cold Wind by C.J. Box

Jun 08, 11

I love CJ Box! He is one of those authors who, as soon as he has a new book coming, I put it on my hold list at the library. I just finished this one this week, and although it's not one of my very favorites (My two favorites: Free Fire and Nowhere to Run. Absolutely EXCELLENT books that can be enjoyed by anyone!) it still had all the elements I appreciate so much about CJ Box books. This is the latest in his series starring Wyoming game warden Joe Pickett. This time his mother-in-law Missy has been accused of murdering her rich husband. As usual, there is more to the crime than is first apparent, but Joe gets things figured out. I love this series for the very real characters - I feel like I know Joe and his family. Although I've read the series in order, you wouldn't necessarily have to to appreciate the strong characterization. I also love the Wyoming setting, and I enjoy how Box always works some current events and/or political issues into his books. I feel like I know more about wind farms now, and the book works the current economy into the plot as well. Regardless of your interests (mine do not involve hunting, which is always at least peripherally a part of this series) CJ Box writes great mysteries. And even if you don't like mysteries, the relentless suspense in Free Fire and Nowhere to Run make them some of the best books I have read. For those of you who have heard me talk about the Yellowstone Caldera a time or two, my interest was piqued after reading Free Fire. I love when books teach you a thing or two...:)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Wind.