Kendra's Reviews > The Hidden Gallery

The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Wood

Jun 08, 11

I absolutely loved the first book in this series! I thought it was hilarious and original. This book is also funny, but not quite so much as the first. The series is set in England during the 1800s with governess Penelope Lumley as the main character. She was hired in the first book to care for three mysterious wild children, apparently raised by wolves but recently taken in by the extremely wealthy Ashton family. In this book, the entire Ashton family has gone to London for some summer entertainment; however, something strange has been happening with Mr. Ashton, and it seems the children are in some sort of danger. Also, there seems to be some surprising relationship between Penelope herself and the Ashtons - or at least there could be. She was raised at the Swanborne Academy for Poor Bright Females and knows little about her heritage. More questions are raised than answered in this book, but hopefully a 3rd title is coming soon. Although this series is marketed as for the middle school grades, there is so much clever and sophisticated humor in it that I suspect might go right over younger readers' heads. A favorite moment in this book for me was when Penelope was mulling over the difference between becoming "enlightened" and experiencing a "rude awakening" - both having to do with the sudden gain of knowledge, but one is a pleasant experience and one is not...Of course I don't do the book any justice with my summary of that moment. You have to read it to appreciate the clever use of language. This is a fun, quick read for thoughtful readers! But read The Mysterious Howling first!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Gallery.