Erin's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jun 08, 11

Read in June, 2011

Divergent was amazing. It's so hard to talk about it without spoiling, but I'll do my best. Basically, this is one of those dystopian novels where they think they live in a utopia (So in some ways, like Hunger Games, in other ways, like Matched, and in other ways, totally its own thing). I happen to love this type of novel, so I was hooked. And I think the best part about it was that the book wasn't so focused on the society's evils or explaining how society got that way that it lost sight of the story/characters. I've seen that happen way too often. Divergent focused on the characters and then let their society be a natural backdrop for what was happening.

To give you a bit of a background, Beatrice (as her name is at the beginning of the book)at age 16 has to choose between 5 different factions, each representing what they think is an ideal trait: Abnegation/selflessness (the one she was born into, Candor/honesty, Erudite/knowledge, Amity/peace (or happiness), Dauntless/courage (or bravery, same thing). Her test results are unusual, making her choice a difficult one. But where the book really gets good is when she makes her choice. And it's awesome, because she's not one of those wishy-washy characters who is constantly torn over her decisions. Once she makes one, she pretty much sticks with it. She's definitely one of my favorite dystopian characters.

Oh, and the romance...awesome. I love the guy, because he seems realistic (as does their relationship). He's not perfect, but he's really good with her. And there aren't two guys she 's torn between, which is another trend I'm getting tired of.

My one critique? Haven't thought of any yet. I read the thing in two days.I just wish the sequel was already here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.