Lyndz's Reviews > The White Tiger

Aug 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed
Read from August 10 to 16, 2011

The book White Tiger first caught my eye because it won the 2008 Man Booker Prize for Fiction, I sequentially noticed it on the NY times bestseller list a little while later. I decided to read this book for a couple different reasons. First reason, it was available for immediate check out at my library. Second reason, I was hoping for another book similar to Life of Pi which won the same prize in 2002 and also had an Indian theme.

I went into this book knowing near to nothing about it other than the afore mentioned facts. That being said, had I known the subject matter I probably would have passed on it, and I am glad that I didn’t.
The story is about self-proclaimed murderer and entrepreneur Balram Halwai. His journey out of the slums and poverty of the Indian “darkness” into the upper-middle class life in the “light”. The central running theme throughout the book is the servant-master codependent relationship, which is explored in depth.
I enjoyed the narrative voice in this book. It does have an original take on the viewpoint in which the story is written – first hand from the mouth of the murderer himself in the form of an unapologetic letter.

I am giving it 3 stars. It's worth a read but not really my personal cup of tea.
And I should note that this book is nothing like Life of Pi.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Tiger.

08/12/2011 page 100