Megan's Reviews > The Piper's Son

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta

Jun 08, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, not-mine-library, young-adult
Read from June 14 to 17, 2011

The Piper’s Son begins with Tom Mackee, and Tom is a mess. He’s perpetually wasted, on the outs with his family and friends, jobless and homeless. Throughout the novel we follow Tom, his friends and his family and see so many people (not just Tom) right the wrongs in their lives. The people Melina Marchetta has created have so much depth. They are flawed and their relationships are far from perfect. Yet, there is an astounding amount of unconditional love between them that comes across as so very sincere and realistic.

But it’s not just the characters. Her writing is beautiful as well. Perverted me fell in love with Tom when he went down on a girl and this bit of poetry came into his head, "you are the bell, and I am the tongue of the bell, ringing you Is it corny? Oh yeah it is. But Marchetta manages to make it all romantic as hell nonetheless.

As always, reviewing Marchetta has reduced me to nothing but clumsy gushing. And once again, her book has amazed me, brought me to tears and taken up the better part of my day off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piper's Son.

06/17/2011 page 328

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Tatiana (last edited Jun 18, 2011 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tatiana LOL. Very honest review:)

Emily May Great review Megan!

And Tatiana, my thoughts exactly :)

Megan Tatiana wrote: "LOL. Very honest review:)

P.S. I was unsure if I should click on that link or not. It could have lead to many different places, right, with a lead-up like that?;)"

The link is the actual poem the quote was taken from. Get your mind out of the gutter! ;)

Megan Emily wrote: "Great review Megan!

And Tatiana, my thoughts exactly :)"

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Doesn't sound like my type of book, but anyone who quotes Billy Collins is a plus! I immediately had to go read the poem.

Megan If you ever decide to start reading YA, Melina Marchetta is a great place to start :)