Morgane G's Reviews > What My Mother Doesn't Know

bookshelves: finished-irp-books

Morgane G
What My Mother Doesn’t Know Review
Sonya Sones
What My Mother Doesn't Know, by Sonya Sones, is for anyone who enjoys reading about teenage love and drama. Sophie is your average 14-year-old. Living in Cambridge, Massachusetts, she falls in love with a boy named Dylan. At first, she feels that he is perfect for her. It was almost love at first sight, and since then it’s been a smooth trip. Soon enough, however, Sophie realizes that this may be just another teenage relationship. She begins seeing an increasing amount of flaws in Dylan and realizing how little they really have in common, and so she decides to end the relationship. Soon after, Sophie’s school has a Halloween dance. In the midst of the fun, Sophie is dancing with all her friends when a masked stranger sweeps her off her feet. She spends hours pondering who the boy could be, and it consumes her. Over Christmas break, Sophie’s friends Rachel and Grace go on vacation with their families leaving Sophie stuck at home, listening to her parents argue night and day. Eventually, Sophie tires of her uneventful days without her best friends by her side and plans an in-town vacation for herself touring the city of Boston. As she sits in the Museum of Fine Arts, staring at her favorite painting, Sophie hears her name being called. It turns out that the school “nerd”, Murphy, has also decided to visit the museum. They go out to eat together after Sophie feels bad declining the invitation. The pair starts hanging out, and Sophie soon falls for Murphy who, evidently, is also the masked man from the dance. Now, Sophie is left with a choice: end things before vacation ends so that she isn’t caught with the class geek, or accept the judgement and keep her newfound relationship with Murphy.
I chose to read this book because I’d just finished reading “One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies”, also written by Sony Sones. Because the first book was pretty well written and it was a quick read, I figured I’d give “What My Mother Doesn’t Know” a shot. I didn’t really get much out of the book, to be honest. The whole thing has to do with teen drama and “love”, and I already dislike both of those things. I’ll admit that while reading it, the book was hard to put down. This is it was written in verse, and every page was a cliffhanger. Also, the fact that the main character didn’t end up with the insanely gorgeous boy of her dreams was, admittedly, a nice change to the norm of teen romance novels. Upon finishing and reflecting upon the book, though, I realized how much I actually disliked it.
I’d have to give this book 2 out of 5 stars simply because the concept is quite clichéd. There are so many teen love books out, and I feel like they’re all the same basic story. Having said that, it’s safe to say that this book does contain a lot of juicy drama and isn’t exactly bland. I’d say that “What My Mother Doesn’t Know” is for anyone who does appreciate such a concept and storyline. I’d say that many teenage girls in general would appreciate this book, because even if it isn’t the best, it’s still full of gossip and drama and excitement and there’s always something happening within the book’s pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What My Mother Doesn't Know.

message 1: by Ms. Fenn (new)

Ms. Fenn Good review, 95