Sheila's Reviews > Light Bringer

Light Bringer by Pat Bertram

2039269
Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: current_issues, relationships, romance, scifi-fantasy, suspense
Read in June, 2011

If you follow my reviews you probably know I really enjoy Pat Bertram’s novels. She has a knack of taking the most puzzling premise and building it into a well-structured, logical tale, with believable characters facing the most tortuous dilemmas. In Light Bringer she brings a strange group of individuals to the small town of Chalcedony, Colorado—Becka who was abandoned on a doorstep as a baby; Philip, on the run from the authorities; mysterious government agents; a UFO hunter’s sister; and the ubiquitous corporate destroyers of peaceful scenery. In town the locals discuss conspiracy theories with disturbing glee. And outside of town there’s a mysterious field of flowers filled with music and light.

Pat Bertram’s novel soars in her descriptions of mystery and scenery. The song of the rainbow flows through the characters, binding them together, while the silence of the great unknown drives them and pulls them apart.

The unknown, when finally revealed, is satisfyingly strange, though, unlike many of the characters, I maintain a healthy respect for the integrity of scientists and science. Romantic subplots are simultaneously lyrical and down-to-earth; dialog is natural and sometimes laugh-out-loud fun; secrets of history and astronomy are intriguing; and the whole is a fascinating read—a touch of old-fashioned sci-fi, blended with modern magic and corporate greed, shaken, stirred and conspired against, then woven into beautiful words.

Disclosure: I won a free ecopy of this book from the publisher, no strings attached.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light Bringer.