Jeremy Preacher's Reviews > The Secret of the Old Clock

1973239
Jun 08, 11

bookshelves: mystery, children-s
I own a copy

I found these reprints of the 1930 versions of the Nancy Drew series, and read them side-by-side with the 1950s versions. What a fascinating exercise!

The standout difference, aside from the really appalling portrayal of the one black person in the early edition, was the addition in the 50s of a number of incidents that seem to be intended to heighten the tension, including an orphan child and her elderly caretakers who desperately need a chunk of the inheritance and a dog attack that consists of angry barking and not much more, and a drastically reduced emphasis on the young, independent although poor sisters who support themselves. Plus the oddly apropos-of-nothing insertion of household chores into Nancy's adventures - they'd probably not really stand out on their own, but when read against the original scenes, they seem like bits of Leave it to Beaver spliced into the frame.

I liked Nancy Drew as a kid and I like her now, but I think I'd recommend the 30s editions to any young girl, as long as someone was there to have a serious conversation about the portrayal of minorities in media. The treatment of black people is appalling but obvious as an anvil to the skull - the inserted 1950s values about the place of women are much more subtle and disturbing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of the Old Clock.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emilie (new)

Emilie I love this idea of reading two the Nancy Drew series side by side! I loved them all as a kid and didn't know how to distinguish besides some being paperback and some having those nice yellow hardback bindings..

Katrina Roets I didn't realize they had been revamped in the 50s. I just picked up this book for 25c at Goodwill and it's the original version. I'm going to have to look for the 50s version. Thanks for the heads up!