Ashley's Reviews > Small Favor

Apr 13, 08

bookshelves: magic-witchcraft, urban-fantasy-paranormal-romance, not-my-copy
Recommended for: avid readers of the Dresden Files
Read in April, 2008

This book was typical. I know describing books as "typical" is not usually a good thing, but Jim Butcher is good enough that typical for him is several notches above the norm. Still, the series has hit a plateau for me. Jim Butcher has never written a bad novel, but I've yet to be blown away by the series as a whole or by an individual book. I don't know what's stopping the series from progressing into fabulousness, but it's definitely slammed against its glass ceiling for me.

I realized this because as I was about a third of the way into the novel, I flicked to the end to look at how many pages there were total, and I read bits of a development that I Did Not Like. And that's when I came to the realization that as fun as these books are, I'm not so attached to them that if Jim Butcher does too many things that I Don't Like, I'll hang onto the series like I did to the Anita Blake series. It would be over. (Of course, the likelihood of me walking out cold on the series is slim because I trust Jim Butcher not to do anything drastic and irreparable a la Narcissus in Chains in the Anita Blake series.)

I think I'm waiting for the focus to shift to the Big Plot, rather than the book plots with sideways references to big things that are happening in between books. There are so many players on the field now that it's probably good that Jim Butcher is taking his time to build up, but at the same time...he's taking his time, and I kind of wish I could fast forward to the series to the Big Climax. But then I'd miss out on all of Harry's awesome jokes.

...as you can see, I don't have a lot to say on the individual book. The books are consistently Really Good, but they're never incredible, mind-blowing, awesome, etc. Harry is funny and so very human. His friends are awesome. More Thomas is always needed. Action scenes are plentiful.

All in all, a good addition to the series, but not the best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Favor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nicole Prestin Heh, you know, this sums up a lot of my feelings about this series. Let's hope that Jim Butcher doesn't pull a Laurel Hamilton with his books because that would be a real shame.