Kelsey's Reviews > A Conspiracy of Paper

A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss

Mar 10, 2008

bookshelves: book-club

I think I loved everything about this book - the time period, the main character, the history, the scandal, the mystery. So it's about a boxer turned thief turned thief taker who is trying to uncover the mystery behind his father's not so accidental death. Much of the story revolves around financial issues, which I really enjoyed. I love finance and economics and put together with a mystery?!? Brilliant.

I thought the author did a great job unraveling the whole mystery. Most of the time I felt Benjamin's (the main character) exasperation - nothing seemed to make sense, just a lot of seemingly unrelated information. I enjoyed working through the clues along with Benjamin. I too was so wrapped up in the conspiracy that I couldn't really guess who would end up behind the murder and scandal. Every time I thought I had figured it out, something would happen to throw me off. I suppose I knew at least one person who was involved...

Another thing I really enjoyed was the main character's task to learn the nuances of the financial market/economics. At one point he is trying to understand about paper currency being backed up by silver, an aspect of the economy I still don't fully understand. If everyone thinks $1 is worth $1, isn't that good enough? I get that there has to be value, but...it's confusing. Several times I found myself having similar thoughts or agreeing with Benjamin's philosophies about certain things.

I would definitely recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Conspiracy of Paper.

04/17 marked as: read