Melissa's Reviews > Princess in the Spotlight

Princess in the Spotlight by Meg Cabot

Jun 10, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from June 08 to 10, 2011

This second book in the Princess Diaries series was not quite as good as the first, but it still was a fun and very enjoyable read. I found myself chuckling several times throughout the book, even though some of the references to pop culture icons is a little dated. Mia's thoughts on the world around her are sometimes absolutely hilarious (Grandmere doing the tango with Gerald Ford, for example), and often they can be poignant. I think I like these books so much because they are able to humorously capture the anxiety I felt as an awkward teenager, hoping desperately to have a boyfriend, thinking that everyone else in the world had a boyfriend but me. I related to Mia's self-image problem. She is unable to see the beauty and appeal she has, so she is blind to the infatuation that some boys around her have for her. The whole secret admirer situation was fun to read. I can see that happening often -- trying to guess who the guy could be, guessing that it is the guy who you are crushing on, and then finding out it is the sweet geek who you have no desire to date. I loved the scene at the pancake place at the very end with Mia in between Michael and Kenny. There are so many fun scenes in this book. I don't understand why Disney had to change the story so much. Oh well! That seems to be the way of the world when it comes to movie adaptations. What I really like about these books -- even though we are talking about a princess and her experiences, Mia is able to humorously expose what for many is a typical high school experience -- dealing with cliques, anxiety about looks and lack of development, a desire to find love, and trying to find the best way to communicate with parents, to say the least. Many of Mia's experiences made me laugh because I remembered going through similar things at her age. I can see why my daughter really loves these books. If I had read them when I was in my early teens, I would have loved them too. Even now as an "old person" I still enjoyed reading them a bunch. This second book in the series is a nice addition to the series. Mia is growing into her role as a princess, and she is becoming more confident as she interacts with others, and although I didn't think it was as good of a book as the first book, I still highly recommend this book -- especially for girls in the target audience of teens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess in the Spotlight.