Nate's Reviews > That Old Cape Magic

That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo

Jun 08, 11

Read in June, 2011

I adore Russo's sense of humor. It's sort of Seinfeld-esque in that he is such a keen observer of everyday life and the humor that lies within, but Russo is not afraid to mix in some really absurd situations and physical comedy that just absolutely crack me up. The main characters in every book of his that I have read are all basically the same - middle aged men dealing with some sort of mid-life crisis somewhere in New England. I can't say I'm exactly tired of that yet because he does it so well, but at times this particular book felt like a condensed stereotype of his other longer, better, novels. I'm wondering if that is why readers are giving this an overall mediocre rating.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Old Cape Magic.

Catherine  Mustread I've been wanting to read this but currently it's in line behind another book you're currently reading: The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon.

Nate The Lost City of Z is like a lot of these books by reporters, it would make a great National Geographic piece, but a whole book ends up being a stretch. I am only halfway through though, and it is a compelling story.