Nandi Crawford's Reviews > Harlem Godfather: The Rap on My Husband, Ellsworth Bumpy Johnson

Harlem Godfather by Mayme Johnson

Mar 10, 2008

bookshelves: bios-autos-and-memoirs, historical, ghetto-urban-tales, nitty-and-dowright-gritty
Recommended to Nandi by: Karen E.Quinones Miller
Recommended for: anyone wanting to learn more on Bumpy Johnson
Read in March, 2008

Mayme Hatcher Johnson is the 94 year old widow of famed Harlem Gangster Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson, who was portrayed in the movies "Hoodlum" starring Laurence Fishburne, and most recently "American Gangster" starring Denzel Washington. It is only now when Frank Lucas was promoting American Gangster and speaking tales that Mayme Johnson has broken her silence and written the real deal on her husband, who from the 1930s until his death in 1968, ruled the streets of Harlem. Read the real deal on his war with the Mafia and Dutch Schultz, Madame Stephanie St Clair(who truly existed), Lucky Luciano,Frank Lucas, his friends, his foes, many celebrities including Billie Holliday, Ethel Waters, Lena Horne, etc. A good piece of history is here. Come and learn the real deal. Because of myself and others wanting history to be told, I was helpful in helping this book published, and I heartily recommend anyone wanting to know more of Harlem back in the day as well as others, check this book out!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harlem Godfather.