Amy's Reviews > The Potter's Field

The Potter's Field by Ellis Peters

Jun 08, 2011

bookshelves: satisfying, taught-me-something, bookcrossing
Read in January, 2008

I was able to get right onto this book, thanks to a spring cold. Ah brother Cadfael (though he will always look like Derek Jacobi, to me, thanks to the wonderful BBC series.) His character fascinates me....Cadfael is a Welshman who took up the sword in the First Crusade and fought his way to Jerusalem and back. He has seen and done it all before deciding, at age 40, to devote the rest of his life to God's work and joins an order of Benedictine monks. While atoning for his sins, he also becomes probably England's first master detective.

Every time he is confronted with a case, it is fascinating to me to see how he works through it. My modern mind screams for lab tests and finger print analysis...he does his detecting without the aid of a forensic pathologist. He figures it out through observation and the use of his senses- astonishing.

And his garden...oh I would love to walk through it some day, or to have 1/10 of the knowledge he does of plants and herbs.

The character fascinates me the most in these books- the plots are secondary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Potter's Field.

07/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia I second your thoughts on Cadfael; it is his personality that makes his books so interesting to read.

message 2: by Skyring (new)

Skyring I've walked through his garden - or where it would have been. There's not much left of the old Abbey, but what's left serves as a foundation for a building of the imagination, peopled with characters of fiction. The sun shone here from a blue May sky, and the snow dropped gently in January as the monks huddled for warmth. It's as real as the trees and the clouds.

Ellis Peters took those fanciful thoughts of a visitor and made them into something amazing. I too see Derek Jacobi as the thoughtful monk, and I see the castle and the kings and the constables and the horsetraders.

And I see love. This is the most charming aspect. The murder mysteries are balanced by the love stories. You know that Brother Cadfael will find the killer, and there's an end on it, but you also know that the lovers will find joy, and that's a sweeter thought.

I love these books.

And I love that I've been there, to the dramatic scenery of the Welsh borders and the old town snug in its horseshoe bend, and Jim Hawkins merry on the radio.